Available on NapierWalks App for only $7.99
Myths and Legends as told by a local Maori elder including Art Works by renowned NZ artist Para Matchitt. Hear about the legend of Pania of the Reef and about the tribes that occupied the area prior to European settlement. This tour is a compact overview of Napier and its surrounding area and you will be mesmerised by the tales of things past. Ngati Kahungunu, the local tribe, reached the district, now known as Napier hundreds of years ago and were one of the first Maori tribes to come in contact with European settlers.
Europeans first sighted Napier in October 1769, when Captain Cook sailed down the east coast of the North Island. Traders, whalers and missionaries were the first settlers followed in the 1850's by farmers and hotel keepers.
The Crown purchased the Ahuriri block (including the site of Napier) in 1851, and in 1854 Alfred Domett was appointed Commissioner of Crown Lands and Resident Magistrate at Ahuriri. He was also instrumental in the building of the oldest Prison in NZ in Coote Road, a short walk from the CBD. A plan was prepared and the town named Napier, after Sir Charles Napier, the principal character in the battle of Meeanee in the Indian province of Scinde. Dommett was also responsible for naming streets after famous artists and literary figures.
Napier has since flourished and due to its well-run Port, it's Art Deco reputation, and the region's ability to develop some of the best produce, including wines, cheeses and fruit that NZ has to offer has become a must see on any visit to NZ.